Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My Life - AKA books.

What was the last book you bought?
A book of poems by Robert and Elizabeth Browning

Name a book you have read MORE than once.
Pretty much every book that was in my library before 2006 was read 3 times or more --- In "A Severe Mercy" Van says something along the lines of, "The Mark of a true book lover is someone who reads their books more than once." A good book will keep gettting better with each read, and say something new to you each time.

Has a book ever fundamentally changed the way you see life?
This is where every Christian person says, "The Bible", which is true -- along with a few other theologically bent books like The Westminster Confession of Faith, and the Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment.

If you're talking about non-theological books -- probably "Jane Eyre", which showed me what it means for passion and reason to struggle in a heart. Or the above mentioned "A Severe Mercy" which made me think about what it means to really live well.

How do you choose a book? e.g. by cover design and summary, recommendations or reviews?
I try to get recommendations from someone I trust whenever possible. Sometimes a cover will catch me.

Do you prefer Fiction or Non-Fiction?
I mix it up.

What's more important in a novel - beautiful writing or a gripping plot?
The plot. A lot of bad writing can be overlooked for a great story.

Most loved/memorable character (character/book).
Oy Vey -- so hard to even begin to choose.

Which book or books can be found on your nightstand/coffee table at the moment?
Problogger - D. Rowse
Poems of Robert and Elizabeth Browning
Most Memorable Quotes
Assasin - Ted Bell
The Bible

What was the last book you read, and when was it?
Currently reading Assasin by Ted Bell -- it's ok -- brain candy.

Have you ever given up on a book halfway in?
Some.

Can you recommend a good book to me? If so, what is it?
That's like trying to fit every person into the same pair of jeans. Tell me what kind of book you're looking for, or what the last really good book you read was, and I'll be able to tell you something you'd like.

A few that I've read (or re-read) recently and liked are:

Ender's Game (audio book) - Orson Scott Card - sci fi
Gilead - Marilynne Robinson - literature/fiction
In Defense of Food (audio book) - Michael Pollan - sociology
Four Queens - Nancy Goldstone - medieval studies/ biography
I Feel Bad about my Neck - Norah Ephron - humor
Garlic and Sapphires (audio book)- Ruth Reichl - food writing

Is there a book you haven't read, and should have?
Johnathan Edwards "Freedom of the Will" -- haven't ever gotten past the first chapter

_originally posted 2/20/09_

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com